Saturday, April 2, 2011

The "On your toes lesson"


It was cold. It was rainy. The same as it had been for the last 4 days in a row. Do I go out to the yard? No I thought, it's early in the spring. Day temps are ranging in the high 40's, low 50's. Surely they won't have that much activity. They'll barely break cluster to be able to draw new comb out besides I have a bunch of work to do around the house...

I was wrong.

This is a prime example of what happens when you leave a strong nuc on it's own. You must stay on your toes no matter what. Stay ahead of the bees and you're life runs a lot smoother. Put it off due to bad weather or a hectic home life and the bees gently remind you who is really in charge!

I had left an empty nuc box on top of the hive to give me room to place cans of sugar water (on top of the frames) that had come with the new packages I installed the week before. They drew 2 brand new combs complete with pollen and freshly laid eggs from bottom of my hive top feeder! It was mostly drone comb (as I'm sure they had swarming on their minds).

My bees taught me to pay more attention to them especially when they are young. I think that's a life lesson we can all appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment